Tuesday 1 October 2013

Day nine / ten

Day nine and it's cannula & infusion set change time.  On my own!  I was slightly apprehensive that I'd probably cock something up, but it turned out to be a quick, easy and cock-up free activity.


The photo shows what was needed.  The pump (with old infusion set still attached), new cartridge, cannula & infusion set, insulin and the cannula inserter thingy.

The whole thing only took a few minutes and no bubbles were introduced :o)

Later that night brought the first hypo since going on the pump, only a mild one, but it does mean I get another coloured wedge on the 'Target' pie chart on the meter.


So far, not a bad set of results and levels are improving all the time.

Interestingly, a fair few people seem to think that going on the pump is terrible and some kind of life limiting experience.

Well it's not.

Contrary to what they may think, I personally think it's bloody brilliant and it's not a hinderance so far.  I'm intrigued why they think it's terrible and almost like a millstone round my neck.  The only think I can think is that they really don't know what a Type 1 diabetic has to do to keep on top of the disease anyway.  A pump really does make things much, much easier to control.  Being attached to the pump 24x7 isn't a big deal.

Tomorrow brings another gig test for the pump as I return to The Underworld in Camden

No comments:

Post a Comment